Marathon Training: 20 miles

This morning marked my second 20 mile run of this marathon training cycle. I got up shortly after my alarm first went off at 5 AM and headed to the kitchen to get some breakfast and coffee. Lately I have been having the same thing before all of my long runs (2 pieces of sprouted grain toast with almond butter and a banana), but this morning I really wanted pancakes for some reason. So pancakes it was! I made banana pancakes with Kodiak whole grain pancake mix and topped them with more banana, almond butter, and syrup.

While I was waiting for my pancake belly to subside, I got all of my essentials ready to go:

This Running Wifle’s essentials for a 20 mile run are:

  • Nathan Speed 2 hydration belt, filled with water
  • Garmin 305
  • BodyGlide
  • Clif Shot Bloks (1.5 packages, 3 servings of 100 calories each)
  • Cell phone (in case of emergencies!)

Today was actually my first time trying out the BodyGlide. I generally don’t have too much of a problem but sometimes I get chafing in my underarm area- ouch! I was also wearing new shorts today and was worried about those causing issues.

By the time I got out the door and drove to the trail head that I was going to run on, it was 7 AM. I’d theoretically like to start earlier, but I get nervous running alone when the trail is abandoned. I realized that I had to pee, probably from the coffee and big glass of water that I chugged, but there wasn’t a bathroom so I decided to just run until I found one.

Here’s a summary of my run:

  • Overall: 3:15:01 (9:45 pace)
  • Mile 1: 10:04
  • Mile 2: 9:48
  • Mile 3: 9:54
  • Mile 4: 9:57  (finally found a bathroom :D)
  • Mile 5:10:00
  • Mile 6: 9:39
  • Mile 7: 9:45
  • Mile 8: 9:50 (Fuel @ mile 8.5)
  • Mile 9: 10:02
  • Mile 10: 9:55
  • Mile 11: 10:04
  • Mile 12: 9:45
  • Mile 13: 9:49 (Fuel @ mile 13.5)
  • Mile 14: 9:52
  • Mile 15: 9:35
  • Mile 16: 9:33
  • Mile 17: 9:24 (Fuel @ mile 17.25)
  • Mile 18: 9:44
  • Mile 19: 9:26
  • Mile 20: 8:55

I entered the trail at the same time as a couple of guys training for a marathon at the end of October. They were really friendly and we talked about places to train and the best marathons that they have done (the two of them had done every marathon I thought about doing in the area)! We all ran together for about a mile- it was so nice to have company!

At miles 4-6 I was running close to a guy with the worst running etiquette ever. He was going barely slower than me, and I started to pass him while maintaining my pace. What did he do? He sped up and started racing me! And then slowed down when he got in front of me! I kept thinking of him as the runner equivalent of the highway driver that constantly speeds up and slows down when you are trying to pass with cruise control on. Annoying!

Miles 7-18 were pretty uneventful, but my legs were feeling really tired by mile 10 when I turned around. Thankfully my brain was on vacation by that point and I was able to zone out.

I was snapped back to reality at mile 18 when my toes on my left foot started hurting badly. On my last 20 mile run I got a ginormous blister on my baby toe that resulted in me bleeding through my shoe. If that weren’t disgusting enough, trying to bandage/tape it just caused a giant blister on my next toe over! I just knew that the sharp pain was related to that, and decided that I could stop and walk, but then I would be dealing with the pain for a longer time.

When I got home I finally saw the damage: two very raw toes. Add that to my black toenail and you’ve got one sexy foot!

I came home to find the Hubble cleaning our apartment! I am such a lucky lady to have a husband who is so understanding of my running obsession and who does chores while I am gone!

After taking a much-needed shower and getting a snack, I got to work making some granola bars for the Hubble to take with him today (he left for Reno for work). I have made granola bars based on this recipe from Smitten Kitchen before, and continue to play with it. Here is the recipe I followed today.

Wifle-fied Granola Bars

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×9 inch pan and set aside.

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl:

  • 1 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 3 cups of nuts and dried fruit (I used chopped walnuts and a tropical mix of freeze-dried fruit)
  • 1/2 bag of butterscotch chips
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes
  • 1/3 cup flax
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 3/4 cup almond milk

Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, mix thoroughly and pour into greased pan. Press evenly throughout the pan. Bake about 20-25 minutes until slightly browned around the edges. Let cool before cutting.

These are super dense and filling. Hubble and I shared a warm one (which promptly fell apart because I didn’t listen to my own advice of letting them cool). I then packaged up all the rest, except the one I saved for myself 🙂

It’s very quiet  and lonely around here with the Hubble gone 😦 Thankfully, even though he is working out in Reno all week, I get to fly out Wednesday night to spend the long weekend with him and our parentals. I’ve never been to Reno before and am looking forward to checking it out!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s