22 miles under my hydration belt

Despite my excited post last week, I was still in a bit of a running funk until I was well into my long run yesterday. The plan was to run 20 miles, and even though I got up plenty early I managed to drag my feet getting out the door- I honestly just wasn’t feeling the run!

About 3 miles into it, I decided that even though I hadn’t wanted to get up that morning and didn’t really want to run 20 miles, the weather was pretty much perfect for a training run. It was cool but not cold, mostly overcast, and relatively quiet on the trail. I thought ahead to next weekend, when I was scheduled to run 22 miles, and dread overwhelmed me. For some reason I decided that instead of suffering through 20 miles on that run and then dealing with the lack of motivation all over again next weekend, I would simply do the 22 miler then! Makes perfect sense, right?

Well, it turns out that yesterday was in fact the perfect day for a training run. I ended up running on the same trail/path that I have been doing all of my long runs on, except I extended it out further to make a longer out and back route. Unfortunately for me, I generally stopped at a point in the trail right before it curved, so I had no idea what lay ahead of me. Basically, there was a hill so steep that I could only run 3 steps before walking, and once I reached the top (walking), I was totally out of breath. Going down it was actually worse- I wanted to run but it was steep and slippery from gravel so I was too scared!

Besides the small hill incident, which was probably good for me given that I will be running the hills in San Francisco in 4 weeks, the run was relatively uneventful. I enjoy the long run route that I have now, but I think I will need to switch it up a bit after the marathon- it’s getting a little routine!

Here are the stats for the run: 22.0 miles in 3:36:06 (9:49/mi pace)

My splits:

  • 1 – 9:55
  • 2 – 9:46
  • 3 – 9:39
  • 4 – 9:51
  • 5 – 9:44
  • 6 – 10:04 (stretch + water)
  • 7 – 9:34
  • 8 – 9:33
  • 9 – 9:58
  • 10 – 10:00 (uphill)
  • 11 – 10:17 (uphill)
  • 12 – 9:00
  • 13 -9:52
  • 14 -9:26
  • 15 -9:38
  • 16 -10:55 (stretch + water)
  • 17 -9:29
  • 18 -9:43
  • 19 -11:17 (stretch + water)
  • 20 -9:42
  • 21 -9:40
  • 22 -9:05

After the run I iced my legs with bags of ice (we don’t have a bathtub, so no ice bath 😦 ), ate some food, and dyed my hair. I tried to dye it back to my natural color (a dark ash blonde), but apparently my over-highlighted ends decided to grab mostly the “ash” part of it, so it looks kind of gray/purplish. Oh well.

The rest of the day included eating half of a large pizza, homemade sweet potato gnocchi, homemade salted caramel ice cream, wine, and errands. I was feeling really good yesterday and didn’t even need a nap!

This morning I woke up feeling energized and just a little tight, so I went for a short recovery run. I am amazed that I feel so good considering the length of my run, but I think that it has to do with a few different factors. I kept moving after running rather than just crashing to take a nap, I ate a lot more than usual (long runs generally suppress my appetite for most of the day), and I hydrated like crazy.

I am feeling like I’m ready for this marathon! One more long run before the taper 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s